Become a member
The Health Canada-PHAC REB is seeking to recruit the following:
- one or more researchers external to Health Canada and PHAC;
- one or more members knowledgeable in law.
For the researcher position, the member must:
- Have expertise in the disciplines, fields and methodologies of research conducted at Health Canada and PHAC
- Have experience conducting research requiring research ethics review (i.e., research with living individuals, human remains, human biological materials, and/or information from or about humans)
- Hold a graduate degree (minimum M.Sc.; Ph.D. preferred) in a biomedical or health research field.
For the law position, the member must:
- Be knowledgeable in the relevant law, including legal issues such as consent, privacy and confidentiality, and conflict of interest
- Hold a law degree (minimum JD, LLB or equivalent; specialization or experience in health law and ethics are assets). Note that applicants are not required to be licensed or practising lawyers, and the member does not provide formal legal advice to the REB.
For both positions, the members must:
- Be external to Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada
- Have a good understanding of the key ethical principles related to research involving humans, in particular the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2) (experience as a member of an REB is an asset)
- Be able to fulfill the responsibilities of REB members as described on the REB website.
Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset.
Closing date for applications: August 15, 2023.
Individuals who would like to apply to become an REB member should send their curriculum vitae along with a covering letter outlining their interest and how they meet the criteria to:
Dr. Gregory Huyer
Manager, Health Canada-PHAC REB Secretariat
Tel : 613-941-5199
We thank all those who apply.
Only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.