Position Purpose and Summary
The Ethics and Research Grants Compliance Officer will serve in a dual role that is integral to the Office of Research. The ERGCO of the Human Research Ethics Board (HREB) is responsible for the prompt processing of research ethics submissions through all stages of review, approval, and monitoring and maintaining the HREB website. The ERGCO will also play a key role in supporting research grants in the Office of Research by aiding Faculty with the preparation of pre-award budgets, administering and aiding in the applications for Canada Foundation for Innovation Grants, administering Undergraduate Research Awards, and uploading updates to the TWU Office of Research Website as provided.
Key Areas of Accountability
HUMAN RESEARCH ETHICS BOARD COORDINATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Educate, communicate and liaise effectively with the HREB committee members, investigators, researchers, student trainees, and staff.
- Provide accurate and consistent information on ethical principles and HREB standard operating procedures, and assist research teams to meet HREB submission requirements.
- Maintain processes, and monitor practices to ensure research involving humans complies with all regulations.
- Maintain the HREB website.
- Coordinate the review of all HREB submissions including initial study approval, amendments, protocol deviations, unanticipated problems, adverse events, renewals, closures, researchers’ responses to HREB concerns, and communicate recommendations for approval or need for revision.
- Work with the HREB Chairs to ensure compliance with relevant regulations, guidelines, and policies throughout ethics review, approval and monitoring process.
- Provide accurate and complete documentation of HREB discussions and decisions.
- Coordinate the maintenance of electronic and paper files to ensure timely and accurate record keeping; responsible for appropriate archiving of files (as required).
- Assist in the development, implementation, and communication of standard operating procedures, guidance documents, and forms relating to the REB.
- Maintain and update electronic databases and activity reports.
RESEARCH OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advises on and assists Faculty with the development of pre-award budgets for grant applications. Ensure that the pre-award budget of research grant applications complies with internal and funding agency policies.
- Aid the Associate Provost by performing initial screening/proofreading of draft grant proposals/contracts to ensure completeness and compliance with the policies of TWU and granting agencies.
- Update Office of Research website with current research grant opportunities available to Faculty as well as receive and upload “research stories” to the website as received.
- Send out weekly “Academic Events” emails to Faculty.
- Aid in the development of proposals and tracking of pre-post award budgets for Canada Foundation for Innovation grants, and completion of financial reporting.
- Administer both the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Undergraduate Student Research Awards and internal undergraduate research awards.
Standards & Requirements
Education: Master’s degree is preferred. Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
For more information and to apply:
The position is open until filled. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Research and Graduate Studies at [email protected].