Reporting to the Director, Research Services, the Research Ethics Advisor is responsible for the coordination and management of all aspects of the submission, review, revision, and approval of research ethics applications and serves as a liaison on matters of research ethics and relevant research compliance policy and procedures as required. The Research Ethics Advisor provides support and guidance to the OCAD University Research Ethics Board (REB) and OCAD University researchers regarding ethics applications and ensures legislated policies and procedures related to research ethics are implemented and followed within the University.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Research Ethics & Integrity
- Act as the primary liaison on matters of research ethics and integrity and relevant procedures for internal and external stakeholders including faculty, students, staff, research ethics board members, governmental authorities, and regulatory bodies, as required
- Provide operational and secretariat support to the Research Ethics Board (REB) including scheduling meetings, preparing documents and annual reports, maintaining membership lists, terms of reference, recruitment of new members, maintaining and populating the OCAD University (OCAD U) REB web page
- Develop, maintain, and update REB Standard Operation Procedures including making proposals and recommendations to academic leadership and other activities
- Maintain knowledge of all policies and procedures relating to research ethics and research integrity, including the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS2)
- Provide knowledgeable advice and guidance to faculty, student and staff researchers regarding the ethics review process and the required compliance obligations according to institutional, national and provincial requirements and guidelines
- Review revisions of designated research ethics applications to ensure the reviewers’ comments have been addressed, meet the required ethical requirements and guidelines, and recommend approval for the research to proceed
- Synthesize required external reports to the Tri-Agencies and other funders, as required, on the current state of research ethics and integrity at OCAD U
- Serve as a coordinator in matters referred to the Vice-President, Research & Innovation (VPRI) regarding research integrity, creating and managing research integrity case files, monitoring timelines and acting as a liaison between the respondents and the VPRI concerning questions
- Provide reports and analysis to appropriate internal and external stakeholders concerning research ethics and research integrity, as required
- Develop and deliver training content on research ethics and research integrity and relevant research compliance policy for new research ethics board members, faculty, students, and staff, as required
- Actively seek opportunities for knowledge and skill-building and resource development to support improved ethics application review processes
- Promote awareness of research ethics and research integrity in coordination with other departments
- Identify knowledge gaps regarding research ethics and integrity among OCAD U REB members and in the OCAD U community and develop resources and professional development opportunities to bridge the gaps
- Liaise with other college and university academic integrity staff and external academic integrity groups to build knowledge and share information
Maintenance of Ethics Review System
- Oversee the effectiveness and efficiency of the online ethics review system, ROMEO, ensuring daily operations comply with internal and external requirements
- Monitor and maintain the ROMEO researcher portal certifications module and the ROMEO webpage
- Provide first-line support in solving technical and applications problems
- Provide training and instruction resources to researchers on the use of the ROMEO research portal certifications module
- Graduate degree with a minimum of three (3) years of related experience in a research office and/or research ethics office
- Experience supporting research ethics approval processes and University research ethics boards
- Completion of the TCPS2 CORE certification and demonstrated knowledge of the TCPS2 requirements
- Experience using ROMEO research ethics management system considered an asset
- Experience delivering lecturers, creating webinars and/or training sessions on research ethics or related content considered an asset
- Strong written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to meet strict deadlines, and work effectively under pressure of high volume and constantly changing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work independently and participate collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work professionally and effectively with people at all levels in and outside of the post-secondary setting
- Excellent time management, organizational and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity, and experience promoting a respectful work and learning environment for students, staff and faculty
Compensation: Hiring Range – $34.64 to $39.72 per hour commensurate with experience, plus 4% vacation pay and 7% in lieu of benefits ; Salary Range – $34.64 to $45.53 per hour
Hours of Work: This opportunity will be either full-time (Monday to Friday, for a total of 35 hours per week) or part-time (28 hours per week) depending on the availability of the candidate. This is a temporary contract expected to continue until May 13, 2022.
Based on the nature of the work, the incumbent in this role may work remotely for some or all of the appointment.
Please review the Return to Campus Plan for up-to-date information about OCAD U vaccination requirements.
All OCAD University employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with OCAD U’s vaccination requirement .
Application Deadline: Interested applicants are invited to submit an updated resume, with a cover letter by selecting “Apply Now” below. The review of applications will begin on Tuesday December 7, 2021 and will continue until the position has been filled.
For more information and to apply, visit https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=OCADU&cws=37&rid=2226