The Office of Research Services within VP Research is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Research Ethics Analyst.
Reporting to the Manager, Research Ethics and Compliance, the Research Ethics Analysts (REA) work to facilitate review of ethics applications submitted to the Conjoint Health Research Ethics Board (CHREB) or the Conjoint Faculties Research Ethics Board (CFREB). As a key member of an integrated research ethics administration team, this role advises and supports researchers and their research teams on the preparation of ethics applications, modifications and reportable events. This includes, but is not limited to, providing guidance on informed consent processes, participant recruitment, assessing potential risks and mechanisms for mitigating risks. The position supports the Research Ethics Board (REB) Chairs and REB members with meeting management, review and on-going administration of human research ethics applications by a wide range of applicants.
Good judgment, diplomacy and tact must be exercised when synthesizing and conveying information. Respect for confidentiality, flexibility and sound judgment are key attributes when problem solving and communicating with applicants, colleagues, REB members and members of the research community.
The REA maintains the confidence of researchers, REB Chairs and members, and the research community. The duties of this position are diverse and can be complex, requiring significant independent work and decision-making within a team environment. There are high volumes of work, and frequent periods of conflicting timelines and priorities. Well-developed organizational skills are required to manage the volume of applications and associated inquiries. Peak periods may involve additional hours to manage the workload. The REA is responsible for providing assistance to their colleagues when required due to workload, vacation or absence.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Works with the Board Chairs, as required, to determine the appropriate routing of ethics applications (full versus delegated Board review)
- Ensures that internal service guarantees (performance targets) are met by facilitating the timely and judicious review of ethics applications and tracking/monitoring applications processes
- Attends, records minutes, and assists in the facilitation of REB meetings
- Prepares correspondence resulting from Chair/Board decisions on ethics applications and carries out all follow-up activities with applicants
- Responsible for initial review and processing of new certifications, modifications and reportable events
- Advises on process, issues, and policies related to human research ethics and assists in researching and developing procedures and guidelines for use by the REBs, administrators and researchers
- Contributes to the preparation, delivery and distribution of educational resources and materials to colleagues, researchers and REB members
- Nurtures and maintains productive relationships within the University, external agencies and the general public
- May contain other duties as assigned
Application Deadline: May 26, 2021
For more information and to apply, go to https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/6777593-research-ethics-analyst-office-of-research-services-vp-research