- To assess the ethical implications of research aimed at addressing sensitive topics that threaten the safety of the researcher and demonstrate how to appropriately determine which of the existing regulations, rules and guidelines apply to risk management plans for sensitive research topics (e.g. illegal drug use, prostitution, research involving participants living in active war zones)
- To analyze and understand, complex ethical issues related to the use and access to newly emerging internet based study tools and interventions throughout a study’s life-cycle and apply ethical principles in the review and consideration of their use in research.
This module is designed to provide a historical overview of the events that brought research ethics to the forefront. An in depth examination at the ethics violations that have occurred and the resulting actions will be discussed.
Details Coming Soon STATUS: content under development
Webinar Objectives: To provide a detailed overview of the processes and activities required to develop and maintain appropriate REB standard operating procedures (SOPs) STATUS: content under development Duration: 1 hour. Date: Friday February 26th Time: 2:00pm EST
- To assess the ethical implications of research involving participants who are engaged in ‘illegal’/criminal activities including identified terrorist organizations, and to address the application of appropriate ethical principles for the review, approval and conduct of the research – including the protections required for the research participants who are defined as ‘vulnerable'.
This webinar package includes each of the following Foundational Skills webinar topics and sessions:
This is a series of inter-related webinars. The introductory webinar is designed to cover various aspects of the administrative considerations in the ethical review and oversight of Biomedical research studies. Subsequent webinars will explore specific research ethics considerations in the ethical review and oversight of biomedical research studies, including common and unique ethical issues presented by biomedical research studies. This webinar package includes each of the following topics in the “Reviewing a Research Study in the Biomedical Domain” webinar series:
- Assess the risks and benefits associated with a SSH protocol to ensure a favourable balance exists.
- Differentiate between the types of risks commonly found in biomedical/clinical protocols and those typically found in SSH protocols.